Friday, February 6, 2015

Dating Your Family

With the new year, Chris and I have worked out a regular weekly date night deal with my mom. Every Saturday my mom comes over to watch the kids and do her laundry, since there's no laundry facility at her apartment. (Although with   winter camps, we have yet to go out on a Saturday night, but Sunday has kindly been filling in...) 



Even though our kids love going to the movies and out to restaurants, we make a point to tell them where we're going, and that it's just the two of us. We want them to understand that we love each other and we will make time for each other. And despite their little ages, they really seem to get it. 

How do I know?

Both girls have started asking us out on dates. Who can say no to that?! Harper started this a few weeks ago, first asking her daddy to take her to a lunch date. (This is where his heart melted into a puddle) He immediately worked it into his day, and the two of them enjoyed a yummy Thai lunch at Harper's favorite restaurant. 

A few days later, she asked me. Once again, she picked the Thai restaurant. We had so much fun talking, laughing, coloring the kids menu together, making wishes throwing pennies into the fountain, and watching her attempt to eat the biggest bowl of soup she'd ever seen. 



As much as I love babies, this date got me really excited about this next phase we're entering, where we can have conversations and laugh and really communicate. 

Yesterday I told the kids that I'll go grocery shopping this weekend (after their complaints of no good snacks in the house). Then Kinley's sweet voice asks, "can I come with you?" You can guess my response and how quickly it came. Then she says, "just two people...me and you."

Of course I'm going to throw lunch into this date, since the grocery store isn't all that fun by itself. I can't wait for my date with Kinley! She is my 'spirited' child, if you will. And after several nights of battling bed time with this little one, we could use some fun, special time together. 

Look at this face...how lucky am I?




Someday maybe my sweet son will ask me out, too. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

No comments:

Post a Comment