Tuesday, September 30, 2014

From 2 to 3 and the Addictions That Follow

I'm pretty sure there are about 5,364,777 articles and posts out there about transitioning in a growing family. From one kid to two. Two to three. Three to four, and so on. Two to three is supposedly the hardest. Where there are some good arguments for it, I have to disagree. 

For us, no kids to one was by far the hardest. If for no other reason, we had no idea what we were doing! But going from two to three certainly has it's challenges. Lack of sleep is an ever present problem for parents. By the time you get to three, a full night of sleep is but a distant memory, which means at least you're used to it. But nursing one baby at night is a lot different than nursing one baby, snuggling your toddler who just had a nightmare, and breaking out the tissue and hydrogen peroxide for your preschooler's nose bleed, all in one night. 

Which leads to my first new addiction: coffee. I've never been a regular coffee drinker. I was one of those fakes who just liked the social aspect of getting a sugary drink at Starbucks with a friend or my hubby. Now I drink a cup a day in the morning. I'm still not a good coffee drinker according to my husband's snobbery for black coffee. But I am a regular with a taste for a very specific creamer. 


There are two creamers actually. The sweet cream natural bliss is my usual go to. But in fall I switch to this cinnamon (or cimmanim as Harper says) creamy deliciousness. I now look forward to my daily cup of coffee. I have no idea if the caffeine helps me or if it just has a placebo effect. Either way, I'm hooked. 

My other addiction isn't new, but it grows stronger with each addition to my family: having kids. Here we are at three with a decision to make...do we have four or do we stop? When I say those words I feel my neck get a little tight and my eyelids feel a tad heavier. It sounds exhausting. And wonderful. And hard. And exciting. And daunting. And perfect. 


Let's face it, my motherly biased opinions aside, we make cute kids. And they do say redheads are becoming extinct...

But oh how we long to travel and go camping and do things with ease! Then even as I write that I'm reminded that the best things in life are usually hard. I may be talking myself into number 4 at this very moment. Lord help us, and my husband. 

No comments:

Post a Comment