Friday, November 5, 2010

2. Today

I am very thankful for today because it means that yesterday is officially over. I had to take Harper for her 2nd flu shot and to get some blood drawn. The flu shot wasn't so bad, she kind of just winced at that. But then we went to the lab for her blood. They were doing a routine test for anemia and also a lead poisoning test due to the age of the house we previously lived in. I had to hold Harper in my lap while one lady held her arm and another lady searched for a vein. The tourniquet alone caused her to cry. Then the lady stuck the needle in and I held on to Harper as best I could while I watched the needle fish for a vein under the surface of her skin. It was terrible! They decided to switch to the other arm after what seemed like an eternity. They put the band on that arm and couldn't even see a vein to start with, so then they called in someone else. We had to wait for this other person, so I just cuddled Harper and tried to calm her down. She had cried so hard that she kept gasping for breath. You know that kid cry that just breaks your heart? I almost left so that I could come back when Chris was with me.

Finally the other lady came, and also not seeing a vein in the right arm, she went back to the left which was already sporting a rather large, painful looking hole. This time Harper cried so hard that I started crying. I was silent though. I figured those women were having a hard enough time as it was without hearing the mother sobbing, too. So I just buried my face into Harper's head as I restrained her.

When we went into the lobby, I had already stopped by the bathroom to dry both our faces, and Harper was fervently sucking on her pacifier, but silent. I set Harper on a chair so that I could find the car key and the woman next to her told her what a brave baby she was. I wonder what all those people thought hearing her scream. My poor sweet baby. I am SO thankful that it's over!

1 comment:

  1. And what a brave momma! I remember taking Oz for those tests and I cried too. But I wasn't brave enough to do it by myself! I even had to have Tim hold Oz cause I was boohooing too. Wow. Poor Harp getting stuck so many times... didn't you just want to punch them?!?

    ReplyDelete